A Safe Fuel
Autogas is a safe, proven and reliable fuel. Fleets across the U.S. are fueled by autogas, partly because autogas is intrinsically safer than many other fuels.
- Autogas tanks are 20 times as puncture-resistant as gasoline tanks and can withstand 4 times the pressure.
- The lower pressure required for storage makes autogas safer to maintain than CNG.
- Autogas vehicles tanks are constructed from carbon steel under code developed by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Properly installed autogas vehicle fuel tanks can actually add to the structural integrity of a vehicle.
Additional Safety Features
- Autogas has a lower flammability range than conventional gasoline, decreasing probability of accidental combustion.
- Each onsite autogas fueling station has a lock-off valve that automatically shuts off the flow of propane autogas at the tank if any pressure drop is detected anywhere throughout the system.
- Unlike gasoline, diesel, methanol and ethanol, autogas is nontoxic, nonpoisonous and soluble in water.
- Should a rare accidental release of autogas occur, it would dissipate into the atmosphere with no harmful contaminants released into the air, soil or water.